We are an award winning product design consultancy, we design connected products and instruments for pioneering technology companies.
Free product vision board template for user-centred design
Reading time 4 mins
- Over 80% of new consumer products that are brought to market fail to succeed
- One of the reasons why is that designers don’t take the full customer perspective into consideration
- A shared vision and product strategy helps to keep teams focused, improves communication, and identifies risks
- Our product vision board template is a simple but effective tool for keeping product design and development centred on the user
- It asks you to consider your product vision, target group, customer needs, product features, and business goals
- A vision board template is essential to a project management toolkit and helps keep the various product development elements aligned and on track.
Looking for robust cyber-secure product development solutions? Call us for a quote!
According to a study conducted by the Harvard Business School, over 80% of new consumer products that are brought to market fail to succeed. One reason for this is that designers get so caught up in developing products from their personal perspective that they neglect to look at it from a consumer viewpoint first. Avoid this from happening and download our product vision board template during the initial stages of the product development process: it will help you stay focused on user-centred design and become an essential part of your project management toolbox.
Product vision board
The first product vision board was developed by Roman Pichler (a product management expert) in 2011 and has become standard practice for development teams worldwide due to its simplicity and efficacy:
- A shared vision and effective strategy will prevent team members from pulling in different directions
- Improves communication
- Maintains transparency
- Helps team members to stay focused on their tasks and goals
- Test assumptions and identifies potential risks
Download our product vision board template for free and customise it to suit your purposes: it can be used collaboratively, remotely, or even as part of a feedback mechanism that can be updated in real-time.
How to use a vision board for your new product
Download the template and fill it in according to the prompts in the associated boxes. Try to keep the information simple and concise (i.e. no sketches or detailed user personas), and remember that the purpose of your vision board is to answer these key questions from a customer perspective:
- Product Vision: What’s the purpose of the product? What kind of positive change will it achieve? e.g. Apple iPod 1000 songs in your pocket
- Target Group: Who is the product likely to benefit, and what’s its target market?
- Needs: What problems does it solve, and which benefits does it provide?
- Product: What are the product’s 3-5 key features?
- Business Goals: How will it support your business growth and development?
Pro-Tip: If the product needs or product description list is long, use our prioritisation matrix template to help you rank the most important ones.
To level up the efficacy of your product vision board, use it as a tool to test your assumptions and identify the areas with the biggest risk or uncertainty. For example, you’ve identified your target market and the problem your product will solve for them. However, this market is located in remote and inaccessible areas (hence the problem). Have you considered how you’ll get the product to them?
Did you find the product vision board template helpful?
We hope this template helps you turn your vision into a real-world product which customers and users will love. If you found it useful, please share it and watch this space for more free templates and business development tools.